Sunday, April 1, 2012

Applesauce

In a brief weekend that isn't before a test, I can post about food!

I made some applesauce with a few (mealy) red deliciouses, spices (cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon), and berries.  In the pictures below, the apple almost looks like granola, since it's beginning to oxidize.

The finished product has a deep color and visible raspberry/blackberry bits. I haven't tasted it yet---it's coming home with me for Easter as a treat--but I'm sure it's delish.

It's nice to use different muscles--add some labora to ora and some recreatio to lectio.

applesauce with berries and spices, before cooking in a crockpot. apples were chopped with a food processor.

applesauce with berries and spices, before cooking in a crockpot. the berries were bagged and frozen.

And earlier, I made my own craisins (because cranberries are so sour, they don't really taste good any other way without copious amounts of sugar). Unsweetened, they added a nice punch to almonds.

 homemade craisins; chop, place on baking sheet, and dry at 200-400 degrees Farenheit (depending on your patience) until dehydrated. homemade craisins; chop, place on baking sheet, and dry at 200-400 degrees Farenheit (depending on your patience) until dehydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment