Saturday, February 29, 2020

Welcome back to Medical Matins

It's my pleasure as the original author of Medical Matins to reopen the blog and resume posting, with the original mission of producing original content as a Catholic, who has now graduated from residency in obstetrics and gynecology.

Medical Matins became a private blog on December 20, 2017, due to censorship by my employer. My residency program discovered the blog and discovered that it was mine. Because of my patient stories and posts about Catholic teaching, they supported concerns that readers and patients could find it offensive and could be repelled from seeking medical care as a result. The issue was escalated to a professionalism committee, which reviewed the blog content and heard my position in response to the concerns which were raised. They considered what type of action to take to address my behavior, and among the options was to suspend the blog. This was the option they chose. In addition, I had to read a young adult gay romance novel and write an essay about it. Beyond a few posts (here and here) discussing why I didn't fight this decision and why the blog was still private for about 6 months after residency, I won't dwell on the event much. I want the blog to continue to be what it had been before: a window into thoughts from a Catholic OB/GYN and consecrated virgin. I have so much more to say and do besides moan over unpleasant things of the past. But this blog is, after all, the blog of a Catholic OB/GYN's experiences, and this was one heck of an experience, so it may crop up in future posts as I reference its effects in my life.

There will be two changes now that I'm resuming content creation on Medical Matins. First, the focus may shift somewhat. Importantly, this is not a result of what happened to the blog; instead, it's because my day-to-day experience has changed. Now that I have finished OB/GYN training, ethics is less of a daily concern, although it still piques my interest. You may see fewer clinical stories or posts on ethics, and more content on topics relevant to Catholics outside of medicine. One such topic is the struggle that accompanies the return of tradition to the post-conciliar Catholic Church. Second, the posts will be more sporadic since my focuses have shifted now that residency is over. I did, after all, do without MM for two years, and I have significantly increased time I give to other projects.

Medical Matins will continue to be anonymous. As always, I ask readers to please respect my anonymity both online and IRL.

1 comment:

  1. That is absolutely so sad. Making you read a gay romance novel? I cannot believe how much our society has degenerated.

    ReplyDelete