Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Usefulness of Bank Accounts

Img credit: startupstockphotos.com, wikimedia commons
Putting money in traditional bank accounts is equivalent to stuffing it under your mattress. Mattresses are fine, but they won't grow. However, both checking and savings accounts still have a useful role in the highly-automated but still human (read: emotional) financial life.

My checking account is part of my software secretary. My bank automatically sends checks to pay my rent, phone bill, and all my various dues to professional organizations. I just check the amounts of the dues when I get an email to make sure organizations haven't raised them, and then I just forget about it.

Savings accounts are tools to protect and manipulate money for small recurring expenses. I have several small or medium expenses each year that I distribute over twelve months. For instance, I pay $150 for an NCBC membership every January 1, and the rest of the year I set aside $12.50 each month to distribute the cost. To protect this money from myself, I send the monthly total for all these small expenses (monthly total for all my annual dues, annual renter's insurance, car insurance paid every six months, etc is $688) and use direct deposit to siphon that off my paycheck and place it into my savings account. Then, the bank automatically transfers a certain amount out of the savings account and dumps it into the checking account, from which dues (etc) are automatically paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment